Sunday, January 21, 2007

DDF Meet

Hello all!
As you probably know, Marina has been involved in DDF this year - Drama, Debate and Forensics. This weekend she sealed her spot on the State team by placing first in her DI (dramatic interpretation) presentation - she has placed in the top three around the state 4 times doing three different Edgar Allan Poe poems but this time she did a monologue from "V is for Vendetta" (Valeries monologue) and WON! She has qualified also for the Solo category by placing around the state prior to this weekend ('Spirits of the Dead' by Edgar Allan Poe).

This weekend her solo presentation didn't place so she's thinking about changing that piece. There's a poem called something like 'I am meth' - we will be looking for that published somewhere so she can consider it. She is ecstatic!!! I couldn't believe it when I saw my quiet girl get up and do what she did and do it SO well :) Nearly brought me to tears. The 'Spirits of the Dead' is seriously good too but we think she just can't make it long enough to win.

The solo presentation can be anything - humorous, dramatic - and they can move around during the presentation for this one. They can have a desk, a chair and a small prop but no costumes and it must be less than 8 minutes. Any ideas Clans? She's really good at kind of scary, spooky stuff but no teenage angst stuff because everyone is doing that - any ideas? Marina is open to classic works too.

So State is in March at UAA but we don't have specifics yet. She will be competing again in Anchorage in February (another qualifying event but for Marina it'll just be more practice for state) but this last weekend was the first time she let any of us see her perform, so not sure she's ready for the whole clan to be there yet - maybe by State.

So that's our news for this weekend - I never would've thought a child of mine would be such an incredible public speaker - I am so proud! Mama Bear.

Comments on "DDF Meet"

 

Blogger Stan Harrington said ... (12:52 PM) : 

Way to go Marina - congratulations I am so proud of you. Public speaking is something that will pay you dividends the rest of your life. got some ideas, but foot ball is on, so i will get back to you on some titles to consider! Bears by 10

 

Blogger Heidi said ... (5:59 PM) : 

Wow, I wish I could have seen it. If allowed I would love to come and watch in spring and I promise not to whoop and howler.

 

Blogger Stan Harrington said ... (10:28 AM) : 

Marina has done several of the Poe piecfes, has she done the "The Raven" "who is that knocking at my chamber door, quote the raven never more". How about Shakesphere, Mark Anthony's speech at the funeral of Caesar. "friends, Cintrymen, Roman's, I have come here to bury Caesar, not to praise him. the good that man does lives after them, the bad is inteired with their bonces, so let it be with Caesar" I learned the entire speech when I was in high school, 44 years ago and I can still recite parts of it! Just a heads up but "Dutch" and Erica are having a birthday on March 30th - Dutch would really like a case of Kwispelbier for his birthday. Referenced at my blog site.

 

Blogger Stan Harrington said ... (10:30 AM) : 

Did not spell check, most obvious error - it should be "friends, countrymen, roman's"

 

Blogger Stan Harrington said ... (10:00 AM) : 

Well, it is time for the big predictions! We split on the championship round. I would really like to see the Colts win since they are the AFC, however, the Bears have come back after a long streak of loosing season's so sentimentally, I would like them to win. One of the best quarterbacks vs a quarterback that can be good or bad on any given day. Under the pressure of the Super Bowl, I should pick the Colts by 10 points but if the Bears defense play the way they did in the Saints game, I would go with the Bears by 6 points. Do I sound indecisive - o.k. The Colts will win Super Bowl Forty One with a score of 27 - 18

 

Blogger john r mclay said ... (5:15 AM) : 

So - You're 38 now, Shane. That's 4 months closer to 40 than me. Happy day, Bro.

 

post a comment