Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Poker Run 2008

Saturday marks the start of the 2008 Iditarod, it is also the day for Snomads 2008 "fun run". This will be my six-teenth running of the "poker/fun run". When I started the idea was to beat down 70 miles of hard bummpy trail, stopping along the way at five different cabins (checkpoints) to draw a card at each. Who ever had the best poker hand at the end of the ride got first prize. I don't remember forsure, but I think, if it was a tie the contestants would fight in a cage until a victor was established.
Well a few years back some loser decided that because it was poker, it was gambling and now its illeagal. So now we go to the same five checkpoints (on a groomed trail) and get a raffle ticket. At the end of the run, all the tickets are put in a hat and the winners are drawn. This method is probley more fair, but I miss seeing the ties.
First prize last year was $1500, not a bad shot for a day ridding.

This is a wonderful time of year in Alaska, get out and get a tan. Or throw a snowball

Comments on "Poker Run 2008"

 

Blogger Shana said ... (10:43 AM) : 

It is cheating if you dont at least wait till Janurary first to wish me a Happy Birthday...and where the heck were you on my birthday...or even the day after huh????

Enjoy the ride and sorry some person who has no sense of fun ruined the poker game...i always thought that sounded like a real neat way to plan a ride...

Have fun...and if you win...I want half as a late Birthday Present....I am sure Dana will not mind as long as she gets the other half...we well go shopping and have a girls day out...that would be such a brotherly thing to do...

Love you...we will be down next weekend to see Jack and Wanda...he is having issues again....

 

Blogger Stan Harrington said ... (2:49 PM) : 

We have retunred, allw ent very well. Did you get an envelope inthe mail, green in color. I thought the first concept fothe poker run was the best, why else would it be called a poker run now it should be called a raffle run. What number are you?

 

Blogger john r mclay said ... (3:11 PM) : 

If you got a number, I am not sure if you should tell dad it. I am starting to get suspicious!

I remember a poker run when John made it to North Bar, he had everyone out looking for him.

It's Heidi.... John left himself signed in again.

 

Blogger Stan Harrington said ... (12:57 AM) : 

Heidi, yu may want to talk JD Plumma into taking a mental exam before he leaves the hospital, it seems working nights has had some effect on him or perhaps it was the patients. How can you get lost in the North Bar? It is not that big! I had a note in my evnvelope, are yu sure that there was no notes in the others?

 

Blogger Heidi said ... (6:52 AM) : 

No note in my envelope. ...

and he didn't get lost IN the north bar... he made it from caribou Hills to the North Bar, before he realized he was not on the poker runs trails.

 

Blogger Da Bears said ... (8:35 AM) : 

The Cabin Hoppers (ninlliuh huh)and the snomads had poker runs on the same day, and used the same srakes for trailmarkers. That problem has been resolved, this happened to other riders besides just plummers.

 

Blogger john r mclay said ... (10:53 AM) : 

Thanks for sticking up for this city boy, Bear! I DID put 160 miles on the old 440 Invader that day. Although I can ride like the wind, 2" of suspension travel did NOT feel like the "wind" when I dismounted - or, for a few days thereafter.
Don't give out your number! I can't believe Heidi didn't hide our envelope when it arrived. What's with the note, anyway?

 

Blogger Stan Harrington said ... (7:04 PM) : 

I am surely glad that your mother and I had children early in life, I took your advice today and laid out on the deck to get a tan like you suggested ~ remind me next time to wear my long johns and not my thong!

 

Blogger Stan Harrington said ... (9:41 AM) : 

Must be running the trails today, be careful with my new machine! I don't want any scatches on it and please, do not get it wet!

 

Blogger Shana said ... (7:51 PM) : 

You dont need Shanes machine dad...I got two sled dogs...you can run Lexis....you might end up in Nome unintentionally but...she has the speed to not get caught!!

 

Blogger Stan Harrington said ... (10:29 PM) : 

I have seen your sled dogs - you lead dog seems to like to run way out front, like a block ahead. Your "wheel" dog has potential, at least he likes to pull!

 

Blogger Shana said ... (8:02 AM) : 

Hey that lead is not in training too...a few laps pulling the sled and she sleeps instead of eating my house!...and she has no desire to run away when she is too tired to chew...lol...so did Shane get lost at the North Bar too???

 

Blogger Da Bears said ... (9:07 AM) : 

Shane dont get to lost very often, and then I could see. 30K miles and four snowmobiles since 1992. Also most all of my miles have been in a 50 sq mile area

 

post a comment